World Peatlands Day is celebrated on the 2nd of June each year.
- Launched by the International Peatland Society (IPS) in autumn 2019.
- Correlates with the date when the draft constitution of the IPS was adopted at an international symposium in Aberdeen in 1967.
- Easy to remember as similar date to 2 February, World Wetlands Day, but with a stronger focus on peatland matters.
- Allows access not only to temperate and tropical, but also boreal peatlands.
- Great chance for outdoor activities on pristine bogs and production areas which are possibly under a snow cover or not accessible in winter.
- Initially online, via websites and social media – followed by local seminars, workshops and similar events.
- Includes aspects of biodiversity, climate, horticulture and many other topics.
Come with us! List your activity via our Facebook page or use #worldpeatlandsday on social media to raise awareness of the importance of peatlands and peat.